Monday, October 12, 2009

Question du Jour #12


If you look carefully at the photo above, you'll notice there's a little buggie floating in the glass of wine. Don't see it? Maybe this one below will make it easier.



Little guy up toward the top. Got it? Okay, good. This fella happened to fly in after the glass had been sitting out on our coffee table for a bit, but I was glad to have the chance to take a picture, as we have had a couple of small-insect-in-beverage incidents at restaurants recently. Once in a carafe of water, and once in a glass of wine. These are, in my opinion, situations of a different stripe than a friend's finding a larger critter in her onion soup...and then again in the one the waitress brought to replace it. So let's focus on liquids. The bug in the drink, to me, falls into a category of scenarios I have always wanted to discuss outside my own head. Basically, I don't think a tiny, winged beastie in my water or wine is that big a deal. I could fish it out with a spoon and, with little difficulty, forget it was ever there. But doing so feels as though I am letting the restaurant get away with something it shouldn't. If I complain to my server, I feel as though I am being a little difficult (although both guys were most apologetic), but if I don't, I am letting carelessness walk all over me. This brings to mind what I have always thought of as situations with no middle ground. For example, if you hold a door or an elevator for someone, you are considerate, where as if you don't, you are kind of a douche. There is no middle ground there--a choice that makes you a neutral, okay person. Other day-to-day happenings have rung this same bell for me, but they're not coming to mind at the moment. So I guess I want to ask you this:

If you find a harmless little bug in your drink, do you complain or just deal with it?

5 comments:

  1. I just deal with it. Well unless it was big giant fly. That would be pretty gross. Because if there's a fly in it and they really didn't notice, it makes me wonder what else is going on back there that they didn't notice. But a little tiny guy like that one? No big deal. Just fish him out and be on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Nick, it all depends on the size of the bug. In your picture, no big deal. What I don't understand is, if the glass was bug-free when brought, and only acquired its entomological guest after sitting on the table for awhile, why blame the restaurant? Once it's served, it's in your custody. Along those lines, I probably would send it back if it were delivered thus encumbered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one I photographed was at home, and only received visitors after sitting out. But the ones I was referring to arrived at our restaurant tables A.S.I (Already Swum In).

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont complain, but i also stop drinking the drink. subconsciously i can't put the water/wine back in my mouth but i dont have the guts to let them know. if it was my food however, thats a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deal. This makes you the bigger person (bigger, at least, than the fly.) Although as I may have told you over that head-size popover at Judie's, I have complained about my meal only once, and that was because there was a THUMBTACK in it. By the way, maybe the reason your eye is tearing is because there is a bug in that as well.

    ReplyDelete