Sunday, October 4, 2009

Question du Jour #4



Pictured above is a short piece of French dental floss. See how it's fuzzy on the lefthand side (you may have to click to zoom in)? This is what happens to it when it is used. I tried both squeezing and wetting a fresh piece to see if that would cause the transformation, since that, as far as I can tell, is what happens to something that passes between one's teeth. But no change. So...what I want to know is:

How and why does something that I would slice cheese with become something I would crochet with?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the action of pulling on it (the resistance of passing between your teeth) pulls the fibers apart, causing it to be fuzzy? What happens when you try to (gently) pull it apart by hand? Maybe it's a deliberate design feature so you can distinguish between used and unused dental floss.

    ReplyDelete